Tuesday, November 29, 2011

VMware error: Call "datacenter.queryconnectioninfo" for object on vCenter Server failed.

I have been having a memory error with a blade server at work, and Dell sent me a memory module to replace. I put the Host in maintenance mode and then shut it down (which is the proper way to do this).

I pulled the blade out, replaced the memory and powered back up the server. Everything came up great, except for the fact that the server would not re-connect to the Cluster. I removed the server from the Cluster in efforts to re-add it back with no success, so I checked the KB site and here is what I found on VMware's KB site:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1027672

After reading that spill, I attempted to log onto the host through VSphere Client with success. To my amazement, the host was still in maintenance mode (which it should have been) and I took it out of maintenance mode and was able to add it back to the Vcenter cluster.

Hope this helps someone out. Thanks for reading! 




1 comment:

  1. I faced the same issue after recent updates from vCenter. I spent a lot of time reading but for no avail. Finally, I decided to remove updates or downgrade if possible. It worked fine for me. Esxi 5.5.0, but I guess the same will work with 5.x and 6.x.
    There are things you need to know to do the same:
    1. You have to install VMware vSphere CLI somewhere. I have done it on vCenter host, but it does not really matter.
    2. List all the installed packages:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli --server=esxi-host-name software vib list
    Here you can choose what exactly you want to downgrade.
    3. Now it is an example how to downgrade the particular vib. Your vCenter server listens to download requests on port 9084. You can browse the repository here: C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\hostupdate\vmw\vib20\misc-drivers
    Host must be in maintenance mode before issuing the downgrade command, though I don’t see any reason why.
    Actual command looks like this:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli --server=esxi-host-name software vib install -v http://vcenter-host-name:9084/vum/repository/hostupdate/vmw/vib20/misc-drivers/VMware_bootbank_misc-drivers_5.5.0-3.68.3029944.vib
    You can check the whole URL putting it in browser. It should start receiving data. You cannot use web browser for walking through directory structure, so use file browser instead.

    ReplyDelete